Saturday, September 21, 2013

block for sarah...



This is a block for Sarah Fielke's Birthday quilt which is a re-creation of her "All That And The Hatter" from her latest book. As ridiculous as it sounds, this block took me forever to make. My first attempt at appliqueing the handle with freezer paper was a complete disaster. Am not very experienced and that inner curve was tight. The block was saved by my discovery of this tutorial on front basting by Liza Prior Lucy.  In front basting, I copied the shape of the handle on freezer paper and then ironed it to the right side of the fabric. I then sewed this to the block with contrasting thread. If you click on the photo below you can see this step in more detail. I sewed at a regular 2.5mm stitch length. Then I unpicked a few stitches at a time trimming as I went and hand sewed with a matching thread. The beauty of this method is that you don't need pins or glue. The piece is very stable and the unpicked stitching creates the perfect crease to turn the seam allowance. Can't say front basting will make an applique addict of me but it sure made the technique pretty painless... Hope she like it!




6 comments:

  1. Such a cute block. Love those Kaffes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nedra! Are you making one for her?

      Delete
  2. Lovely block - love the guinea flower fabric for the cup. When I saw this quilt in her book I thought it was one I would like to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should make one too. Apart from just being a lovely and deserving recipient she's going to have a draw for her new fabric for everyone who contributes!

      Delete
  3. Cute! I love the blue cup on the orange stripe.

    ReplyDelete