Monday, January 20, 2014

focus 2014....



My first finish of the year is a small banner for Victoria Findlay Wolfe's word challenge over at 15 Minutes Play. I chose "FOCUS" as my mantra for 2014. I realized that I am too easily distracted by new combinations of fabrics, techniques and ideas. I tend to lose interest in a project once I can see how it will turn out. This year I will pay more attention to the act of making and completing something and not just its design. In life in general, I want to focus more on the people and things that are truly important to me.




My "made" fabric is a little more ordered. I had a bunch of narrow strips of varying widths which were sewn together randomly in stacks of roughly 2". These were then joined into one giant strip.  I folded this strip in half and sewed down one side like in a Jelly Roll Race. I kept folding the piece and sewing down one side until I had a large rectangle. It was a very fast way to make fabric...




Next I created a stencil on freezer paper of my word which was then ironed to my fabric...




Using Liza Prior Lucy's front basting technique I sewed around my letters to attach the colored backing to the charcoal overlay. My variation is that I use the machine to front baste rather than sewing around each shape by hand. I find it faster and I get a better crease to turn the edge. I cut away the excess grey to reveal the striped fabric behind. The letters were sewn using reverse applique.

It was fun to participate in this challenge and I hope that the resolution to FOCUS in 2014 is one that I keep...

14 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! I love your random colored strips and your modern letters. The front basting technique looks like a good one. Best wishes with your resolution! I'll look forward to seeing what you create this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Am really going to work on finishes... Be less scattered:)

      Delete
  2. Great word! You always make the most beautiful strata :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nedra! Hope I can live up to it:)

      Delete
  3. How cute, I have never used that basting method. I might have to give that a try, I keep thinking it takes a long time to do.
    I need to focus as well, too many things I love to make!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Well I'm not very experienced with applique but if you use the machine it is fast and super accurate. It is less time than freezer paper and starch. My attempts at plain needle turn always turn out lumpy. You probably don't have that problem!

      Delete
  4. I love it!! I love your technique, too. Very clever, grasshopper. My word is "Fit" - both physically and financially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andie! I should adopt "Fit" as my second word for 2014 too. How's the running going?

      Delete
  5. I just hopped over from "15 minutes of play." Love your blog ~ thanks to you I learned about amazing Godaris quilts!

    Yesterday I discovered a knitting technque/book I think you might appreciate (if you don't already know about it!) ~ Entrelac: The Essential Guide to Interlace Knitting [http://www.knitpicks.com/books/Entrelac_The_Essential_Guide_to_Interlace_Knitting__D31569.html]

    I'm looking forward to seeing more of your focused work this year!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Diane and thank you so much for the book recommendation!

      Delete
  6. good word! i need some of that too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, will lose interest in a project when I can see how it will finish up. Always glad someone else can understand the problem. I finish up my projects, but the finish is a slog. I'll take "focus" to heart. Thank you. . . . Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! Nice to know I'm not alone...

      Delete