Sunday, February 9, 2014

wearable art...


Found this interesting Christian Lacroix outfit at 1st Dibs and it got me thinking about wearable art. This ensemble is from the 90's and is made of elaborately quilted and embroidered patchwork silks. Last year Material Obsession was selling some exquisite kantha coats which were very tempting. At textile shows, I've seen some beautiful quilted kimono style jackets and some less successful sweatshirt conversions. Have always avoided making anything like them as I am rounder than I'd like to be and have never met a "slimming" quilt. May need to rethink my prejudice. Have any of you ever made quilted clothing? Wearable art-tacky or tremendous? Thoughts?






10 comments:

  1. As beautiful as they all are, No - I have never made a quilted clothing. I once won a door price at a quilt show, a quilted jacket, back it went to another guild as my contribution to a fundraiser. Grew up around people wearing quilted clothing though in northern India where winters are cold enough and there were not heaters other than wood burning stoves. But i do like looking at them. I have an entire board on my pintrest for patchwork.. All too pretty but like you said, not flattering at all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to see photos of Indian quilted garments. I would imagine they are quite beautiful. I must hunt for and have a look at your Pinterest boards!

      Delete
  2. I would love to have a quilted half slip for wearing a skirt in this winter weather. We wear coats on top but it's just as cold down below .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right but I wonder how you could sew one that wasn't too stiff- maybe out of a knit?

      Delete
  3. I have not personally made wearable art, but I sure like to look at it at quilt shows :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you should sew a jacket made of triangles? ;)

      Delete
  4. This one is beautiful! I've seen a few examples of wearable art that I like, but... I guess there are many definitions of "wearable."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like I have enough "batting" and don't need to add any more!

    ReplyDelete